Notes from the Balcony

Ongoing comment and dialogue on being a new church in a new world - A Blog by John Montgomery

[The Bible] is not, for a start, a list of rules, though it contains many commandments of various sorts and in various contexts. Nor is it a compendium of true doctrines, though, of course, many parts of the Bible declare great truths about God, Jesus, the world and ourselves in no uncertain terms. Most of its constituent parts, and all of it when put together (whether in the Jewish canonical form or the Christian form), can best be described as story. This is a complicated and much-discussed theme, but there is nothing to be gained by ignoring it. - N.T. Wright

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Theology #1


Recently, it has been helpful to me to understand a theologian's work to be taking place at two different but clearly interconnected levels. There is the normative level, where theological statements are tested against the general consensus of viability and there is the formative level where theological statements are tested overagainst the religious foundations of the greater tradition in which one is writing. Most helpful resources at the normative level for me have come from the tradition of process theology and writers such as John B. Cobb, Jr. Metaphorical theological analysis has been most promising for my work at the formative level. In particular for me, Sallie McFague's work has best defined this task. While I have studied process theology for years, I always feel that I am just a beginner. However, just the presence of a theological model that allows me with some integrity to talk of a God acting in the midst of the world give me permission to work at the formative level!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger