Notes from the Balcony

Ongoing comment and dialogue on being a new church in a new world - A Blog by John Montgomery

[The Bible] is not, for a start, a list of rules, though it contains many commandments of various sorts and in various contexts. Nor is it a compendium of true doctrines, though, of course, many parts of the Bible declare great truths about God, Jesus, the world and ourselves in no uncertain terms. Most of its constituent parts, and all of it when put together (whether in the Jewish canonical form or the Christian form), can best be described as story. This is a complicated and much-discussed theme, but there is nothing to be gained by ignoring it. - N.T. Wright

Monday, August 13, 2007

On Church and Cell Phones

This summer, I have been visiting the "contemporary" worship services of a variety of Methodist churches in the Atlanta area. I suppose that I am a spy for our worship commitee. While I have found a lot to appreciate and perhaps even to appropriate, what irritated me the most was one place where before the service began, a series of "religious ads" flashed through their cycle on the big screens inviting people to sign up for Wednesday night supper or Disciples Class or the latest mission trip. I had the distinct feeling like I was at the local cinema watching "The 20" before my movie played. I suppose what nailed it for me was the message that flashed on the screens saying "Please Turn Off Your Cell Phones!" So much for a time of personal prayer and worship readiness.

Actually, I took in the Simpson's Movie this weekend, and sure enough during "The 20" I was asked several times to "Turn Off My Cell Phone." At least this was done with creative ads.

By the way, the movie is great - about halfway through, the scene flashes to the local Springfield church. On the marque noting the sermon title were the words, "Please Turn Off Your Cell Phone!" Hello - !?!?!###!


I subscribe to "Christianity Today" online - mainly to read their humor column. Two entries caught my attention recently. First, if you are preaching, what should you say when a cell phone goes off? Announce to the offender - "If it is God, tell him, I am busy right now." And second, I hear that some Contemporary Christian Publishing Companies are marketing a new ring tone for use in church - it sounds like a baby crying!


I'll say something soon about the Simpson's. I've got to go now, my phone is vibrating!


Photo Used with Permission: Scorpion26 - (c) Murat Bayson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the Simpson's movie yet, but one of my favorite Simpson's episodes was when Bart replaced the music in the church and they all thought they were singing "In the Garden of Eden"...

The sanctuary at my church is old and doesn't have the right type of architecture to easily lend itself to a 'big screen' and I am glad, because I just find those out of place in a worship setting. I get really upset when they are used to display the words to a song, because there is usually some type of mixup, or a coda or refrain that isn't reflected in how the words are displayed. Besides, I like be able to see the music itself when I sing. I'm not against contemporary services, though I'm not a fan of 'praise music', but I also don't think that those 2 things alone define a contemporary service.

peace,
Lorna

Powered By Blogger